Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A HOT Weekend

This past weekend I was able to shadow my good friend Andrea at the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee. This was a great opportunity because Andrea is a H.O.T. nurse, that is to say she works on the Hematology, Oncology, Transplant floor. In layman terms, her floor deals entirely with childhood cancers.

As I mentioned in my last post I was a bit nervous for this endeavor. I wasn't sure what to expect considering the great tribulation cancer has been for my family. But in hindsight, I'm unsure why I ever held such anxiety.

Shadowing Andrea for the whole of her 12 hour shift allowed me some great opportunities. First and foremost was my allowance to be in such a unique environment as the Wisconsin Children's Hospital. There is something so special about the atmosphere of a hospital that I can't quite describe in the extent that I'd like. In short I'll merely say that the ambiance is truly enlivening for me on a very distinct level. This floor proved no different with its cheery colored paint scheme and it's sense of busyness.

My day progressed by meeting the patients that Andrea would be caring for that day and following her through some of her daily routine. With respect to confidentiality I'll not go into detail about the kids, but I can tell you that this was the first time I'd first hand seen chemo therapy administered among a slew of other things. I washed my hands more times than I remember and best of all I put some smiles onto a few kids faces.

When I wasn't tagging along with Andrea I was either interacting with the doctors or patients on the floor. Though much of the medical jargon was lost on me, I was happy as a clam to make rounds with the docs. This time mostly entailed the two residents sharing updates on each patient to the fellow and attending doctors. With their rolling computer stations, they were quite a sight to see scribbling additional notes and nodding their heads from time to time. Later in the afternoon I was able to ask them a few questions about their path to pediatrics.

The time I was able to spend with patients was awesome. I'll tell you, nothing beats watching Disney's animated Robin Hood while playing with superhero action figures as a means to change a routine IV. Granted, as a visitor I got to spend a bit more time with the patients than I would as a doctor, but the general concept of an improved and encouraging bedside manner still remains.

This concept of patient doctor relationship etiquette is one that I have been tossing around for a while. In fact, it is for this reason that I'm incredibly appreciative for both my time volunteering in the Same Day Surgery Unit at Delnor Hospital and having the opportunity to shadow a nurse rather than a doctor this past weekend. The more I am around my desired profession, the more I'm realizing that I'll really need to know my patients to genuinely care for them. Moreover I'll need to know the other staff (Nurses, PAs, CNAs etc) on my floor to fully appreciate and encourage the jobs they each fulfill. I've seen both sides of the spectrum for doctors' sociability, and let me tell you both patients and nurses respect the doctors who genuinely spend the time to establish humility.

Perhaps more on that theory in another post. For now I can announce with great distinction that I certainly feel that I could work in Pediatric Oncology. To be able to give care in such a muddled time for a family would be a distinct honor, and perhaps may even present opportunities for some enlightened fun along the way. In any case I'm ever more excited for what the future holds, and I can't wait to invest in my patients of all shapes, sizes, and walks of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment