Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Butterflies Are Illusive Creatures

This coming Monday I begin the first of my classes en route to medical school. Physics 1 & 2 at a blistering pace over two months should be a great barometer for whether or not I belong in med school.

It's been a full year since I've been inside of a classroom, moreover four years since being inside a science classroom, and six years since Mr. Norton's AP Physics class at Cary Grove Community High School. I'd be remissed if I claimed I wasn't a little bit nervous. To use an old adage, "I've got butterflies in my stomach."

They're not the bad sort of butterflies though. No, no. Rather, they're the phenomenal type that turn distress into eustress, and lemons into lemonade. The butterflies that surge to your insides when you ask a girl to the prom or better still when ascending to the apex of a roller coaster. Click, click, click, click, click... click... click... click... click... My ascent has been ongoing for several months, but it isn't until now, a week before my classes begin, that I've really been able to appreciate the joy of this anxiety. Click... click... click...

The apex is nearly here!!! Fully strapped in, I can feel the breeze on my cheeks and the sun beating down on me. The chubby kid in the car behind me is clinging to his mothers arm, but I'm trying keep my cool. Click... click... click... It won't be long until I can release the pure pent up volume from my lungs. Not long until I can liberate the brewing cavalcade of butterflies. Click... click......... click...........

The butterflies tell me I'm nearly prepared, and now that I'm thinking about it, a couple other things too. In fact, this old adage holds much more meaning than we give it credit. I mean seriously, can you imagine an evil or harmful butterfly? Whoever was behind deciding what creature would fester within our anxious bowels was a true genius. Though they make us uncomfortable, our lepidopteron disquietude prepares us for the true journey and encourages us to act swiftly and elegantly.

Alas, it is what I shall do. Answer the call, with my Texas Instruments Ti-84 plus silver edition in hand and a smile on my face. I'm ready. First plunge here I come.

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha, lepidopteron disquietude. Best word pair I've heard in quite a while...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO EXCITED for you and I have no doubt that you will succeed. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm ready to hear about Physics. I hope you enjoy it. I took that class with Jack and we both really liked it, despite the homework and studying every night.

    ReplyDelete