Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Plug and Chug

I love to hate this phrase. "Plug and Chug..." I hope whoever came up with this nonsense is rather pleased with himself. I write "himself" because every time I think of this phrase I imagine a very smug grin on the likeness of comedian Brian Regan, not to demean Brian, but rather because he easily personifies the mania of my mind.

In any case, I've been "plugging and chugging" away at equations for a little over a week now. In merely five days of class we've covered 5 weeks of material, and I'm loving it! Unfortunately my physics knowledge is flooding back to the forefront of my brain more quickly than I thought it would. I currently maintain a very high score in the class. Overconfidence has followed...

I don't want to proceed into the classroom feeling like a know-it-all, but it's happening... Sure it feels great to be the "smart kid" in class again amongst my summer school compatriots, but there was this thing called "humility" I caught somewhere between junior year of high school and the end of my Hope College career.

Humility is one of the greatest lessons Christ taught us. If my calling as a Christian is to truly live and love like Him, I must be able to rid any sign of self-centered and boastful natures. Knowing this humility reminds me that I am truly seeking who He is, and likewise that He is living in me.

So in short: Physics is going well, but I want some Humble Pie. Scratch that, I need some.

5 comments:

  1. That's better than the alternative! You can always look at the list of topics covered on the MCAT, or take the physics part of a practice test if you're in need of said humble pie... And if that doesnt make you humble, then you're REALLY doing well, so it's a win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, plug and chug...this past semester my chem prof uttered that phrase in lecture one day and I wanted to die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah... I got up pretty early today. I pretty much passed out straight away after getting home from class yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Humble pie ;-) That's a new one, and I like it! I love reading your posts, Sam! I'm rooting for you and you're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete